Board Briefs - May 8, 2018
Superintendent Excellence Awards
Certificates were presented to the following students who qualified for state and national academic competitions:
South High School Forensics: Savannah Bonilla, Piper Brady, Maya Daily, Sydney DeArvil, Amaya Dungan, Albanee Garcia, Holly Johnson, Gavin Jones, Tristan Kinderknecht, Madeline Lilak, Robyn Logan, Tiana Marion, Abby Miller, Alyssa Peppers, Cameron Post, Hannah Rea, Daniela Rhodeman, Nick Salem, Brandon Stewart, Jacob Sweet, Maddy Turner, Santiago Vasquez and Lauren Zimmerman. Megan Hagaman, coach.
Central High School Forensics: Sandy Dao, Jeb Allen, Moses Brown, Erin Flax, Joelle Pfannenstiel, Hana North, Violet Arb, Aaliyah Humphries and Madeline Sears. Jubilee Kinney, coach.
South High School Journalism: Kearra Alvarez, Tatum Forrester, Grace Hoge, Rebecca Lee, Lauren Raubenstine, Kati Rivera, Marissa Russ, Abby Teschke and Kaylee Warren. Kim Warren, adviser.
Central High School Journalism: Morgan Dolton, Annie Hayes, Kamryn Arnold, Molly Michaelis, Chloe Guillot, Madeline Paradis, Michele Resola, Olivia Johnson, Ellie Cobb, Kadyn Cobb, Maria Gutierrez, Bailee Steinle and Isabella Rubino. JD Garber and Shelby Dinkel, advisers.
Central High School FFA: Cauy Rickley, Madelin Smith, Madison Crowder and Zachary Gonner. Brooke Petty, coach.
South High School FFA: Bailey Barry and Kaitlyn Elder. Brooke Petty, coach.
Central High School Kansas Career and Technical Education (CTE) Scholars: Katelynn Ade, Kinleigh Brecheisen, Zoie Counts, Tabetha Deines, Jennifer Guardado, Peyton Kavanagh and Troy Miller. Cindy Roets, sponsor.
South High School Kansas Career and Technical Education (CTE) Scholar: Trenton Fabrizius. Deb Kohn, sponsor.
Central High School Gold Seal of Biliteracy Winners: Payden Cox, Juan Reveles, Claire Cook, Shadden Zapata and Jennifer Guardado. Jan Denning, building coordinator.
South High School Gold Seal of Biliteracy Winners: Johana De La Torre, Luis Fierro Cortes, Monica Garcia and Ana Ortega. Deb Kohn, building coordinator.
Certificates were presented to secondary teachers honored as Renaissance Teachers of the Month from January through May. Teachers included Billy Jo Bonar, Bryce Jones, Melinda Jett, Katrina Paradis, Brooke Petty, Central High School; Kim Cook, Jane Bradbury, Lindsey Sellers, Jeanine Lytton, Sue Montoy, South High School; Jennifer Kay-Higgins, Lexi Fenn, Pedro Ibarra, Bev Cleveland, Michele Griffitts, Lakewood Middle School; and Micheal Goll, Tim Bishop, Brent Conner, Amy Norton, Ginger Armbrust, South Middle School.
Jobs for Graduates
Shanna Rector, executive director of administrative student support services, introduced Jobs for America’s Graduates (JAG) staff Kipp Keffel, Central High School (CHS); Melissa Gates, South High School (SHS) and Jacob Andres, Salina West Alternative Program (SWAP) who gave an update about JAG. The staff introduced student speakers Izaiah Saltkill, sophomore at SWAP; Xavier Reavis, senior, SHS and Julia Thornton, graduate, SHS who provided the board with student experiences in the program.
Appointment of Certified Contract(s) for 2018-2019
- Archuleta, Ane, grade 1, Cottonwood Elementary
- Harbaugh, James, high incidence special education, CKCIE/Herington High School
- Jenkins, Forrest, mathematics, Lakewood Middle School
- Morgan, Erica, grade 1, Sunset Elementary
- Rowley, Rebecca, kindergarten, Cottonwood Elementary
- Slade, Tyler, business education, South High School
- Vakadewatbua, Shawna, kindergarten, Oakdale Elementary
Transfer of Certified Contract(s) for 2018-2019
- Koops, Alexis, grade 4/Sunset Elementary, grade 5/Sunset Elementary
- Mahanay, Leah, Title I/Heusner Elementary, kindergarten/Heusner Elementary
Resignation of Certified Contract(s) for 2017-2018
- Currie, Kelly, mathematics, Central High School
- Demaree, Tammy, speech language pathologist, South Middle School
- Gardner, Brittanie, grade 1, Oakdale Elementary
- Janzen, Elizabeth, foreign language, Central High School
- Rutherford, Laurie, grade 3, Oakdale Elementary
- Watson, Melanie, high incidence special education, CKCIE/Tescott Elementary
Retirement of Certified Contract(s) for 2017-2018
- Shuler, Alan, industrial arts/technology education, .8 FTE South High School/.2 FTE South Middle School
Transfer of Supplemental(s) for 2018-2019
- Cullins, Deanna, .5 dance team high school, 1.0 dance team high school
- Fenn, Lexi, soccer assistant girls high school/Central High School, soccer head girls high school/Central High School
Classified Appointment(s) for 2017-2018
- Jones, Maria Triana, cheerleader sponsor assistant high school, Central High School
- Medina, Theresa, paraeducator, Schilling Elementary/CKCIE
- Vasquez, Lucia, night custodian, Salina West
Classified Resignation(s) for 2017-2018
- Comini, Christie, cook/cashier, Lakewood Middle School
- Jensen, Stephanie, paraeducator, Meadowlark Elementary/CKCIE
- Kincaid, Kourtney, paraeducator, CKCIE/Hageman
- Klein, Brianna, paraeducator, Central High School/CKCIE
- McGilvray, Donna, paraeducator, Cottonwood Elementary/CKCIE
- Nguyen, Isabell, cook, Lakewood Middle School
- Taylor, Marsha, paraeducator, Cottonwood Elementary/CKCIE
- Turnbull, Lisa, paraeducator, CKCIE/Chapman Senior High School
- Usher, Alexandra, .5 FTE health aide, South Middle School
- Walsh, Morgan, teacher assistant II, Heartland Early Education
Withdrawal of Classified Resignation(s) for 2017-2018
- Pierson, Diana, paraeducator, Sunset Elementary/CKCIE
Classified Retirement(s) for 2017-2018
- Leander, Keith, night custodian, Lakewood Middle School
- Rickley, Mary, administrative assistant V, CKCIE
Classified Transfer(s) for 2017-2018
- Bolz, David, paraeducator/CKCIE/Ellsworth Elementary, paraeducator/CKCIE/Ellsworth Jr/Sr High School
- Gonzales, Ana, administrative assistant V/Salina West, administrative tech assistant/MIS
- Moreno, Monica, paraeducator/Salina West, bilingual instructional assistant/Salina West
- Salina, Carolyn, paraeducator/South Middle School/CKCIE, paraeducator/Cottonwood Preschool/CKCIE
- Sherbert, Jennifer, food service worker I/Lakewood Middle School, cashier/cook/Lakewood Middle School
Classified Transfer(s) for 2018-2019
- Fitzpatrick, Candy, administrative assistant II/Central High School, student support coordinator/Central High School
- Ketterman, Laura, paraeducator/CKCIE, ISS supervisor/South High School
- Kindlesparger, Marian, administrative assistant IV/District Office, administrative assistant V/CKCIE
Resignation of Supplemental(s) for 2018-2019
- Currie, Kelly, .5 dance team high school, Central High School
- Tilson, Steve, soccer head girls high school, Central High School
The board of education approved the following encumbrances: (1) Jobs for America’s Graduates - Kansas, $26,000, program for 2018-2019; (2) Weidenhammer, $33,716.12, maintenance renewal; (3) US Foods, $2,016,937.45, contract for food and food service-related supplies; (4) Hiland Dairy, $215,362.50, contract for dairy products; and (5) Bimbo Bakeries USA, $52,250, bread products.
The board of education approved the amendment for the purchase of 6th grade World History textbooks from hard copy texts to digital.
Approve Coronado PTO Gift
The board of education approved the gift from Coronado PTO in the amount of $5,500 for the purchase of walkie-talkies.
Approve Kansas Education Systems Accreditation Report
The board of education approved the Kansas Education Systems Accreditation Initial Report.
South High Debate/Forensics Out-of-State Field Trip
The board of education approved the South High Debate/Forensics trip to Fort Lauderdale, FL on June 15 through June 24, 2018.
South High Forensics Out-of-State Field Trip
The board of education approved the South High Forensics trip to Washington, D.C. on May 23 through May 29, 2018.
Commencement Date for 2019
The board of education approved the 2019 Commencement Date of May 19, 2019.
2019 GED Graduation Date
The board of education set Thursday, May 30, 2019, 7 p.m., for the 2019 Salina Adult Education Center’s GED Graduation Ceremony. The ceremony’s location will be determined during the school year based on the number of graduates.
School Board Reports
- Gary Denning, board member, worked on 305 LIVE.
- Ann Zimmerman, board member, attended the honor nights at Central High School and South High School, the Heartland Policy Council and the Partners 4 Success graduation.
- Gabe Grant, board member, attended the Schilling Teacher Appreciation luncheon, the retirement reception, Partners 4 Success graduation and the Meadowlark Ridge Elementary Friday Fanfare.
- Carol Brandert, vice president, attended the retirement reception, the Partners 4 Success graduation and negotiations training.
- Jim Fletcher, board member, read to students at Sunset Elementary, attended the Salina Area Technical College graduation and the Schilling Teacher Appreciation luncheon.
- Nedra Elbl, president, attended the Salina Chamber of Commerce Board meeting, the South High School theatre production, the prayer breakfast at Kansas Wesleyan University, the retirement reception, negotiations training and read to students at Sunset Elementary.
Upcoming Dates of Importance
- Thursday, May 10, Alternative Program Graduation, Salina West, 1:00 p.m.
- Thursday, May 10, DCP Graduation, Salina West, 4:00 p.m.
- Sunday, May 13, Graduations
- Central High School – 2:00 p.m.
- South High School – 5:00 p.m.
- Thursday, May 31, SAEC Graduation Ceremony, 7:00 p.m.
Dr. James Hardy, superintendent of schools, thanked the public information office for their work on the retirement reception and on student recognitions. Dr. Hardy encouraged everyone to attend school programs as the year wraps up. Dr. Hardy reviewed a report to the board about the Healthy Lifestyle program.
The board of education recessed into executive session for attorney/client, personnel and negotiations.